Want to go SuperNatural™ with your recipes that call for ricotta cheese? Making it from scratch is easier than you think, and (of course) we think our organic buttermilk lends an amazing flavor that you won’t get from other recipes that use vinegar to culture the mixture. You will need a fine sieve or cheesecloth to separate the curds from whey – other than that, most home cooks should have everything they need to make this treat!
96oz Kalona SuperNatural Whole Milk
32oz Kalona SuperNatural Half & Half
32oz Kalona SuperNatural Reduced Fat 2% Cultured Buttermilk
1 tsp salt
- Add all ingredients to saucepan and heat on medium on stovetop, stirring to prevent the milk from burning.
- In about 5 minutes, the mixture will steam and then curd. Turn heat down when curds begin to develop and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove and pour mixture into fine sieve, cheesecloth, or a good sized and clean flour sack towel.
- Let drain over sink until desired consistency. (Note: the curding appears subtly, but trust your eye as you notice it’s appearance change).
Use in recipes as desired. Treat yourself to a preview when the ricotta is still warm (after draining) by spooning a little out and adding a sprinkle of cinnamon, a drizzle of honey, and a few toasted pine nuts on top.
Bonus Recipe: Baked Ricotta
Here’s another incredibly simple way to enjoy the incredibly simple, delicious flavor of homemade ricotta cheese.
4 Cups ricotta cheese
1 handful of your favorite savory herbs (we like marjoram, rosemary, thyme and oregano)
Splash of olive oil
- Oil glass ramekin or pie plate and preheat oven to 375F.
- Mix drained ricotta with herb of choice and spoon into ramekins.
- Bake until the top develops a nice golden color.
- Remove from oven, cool just enough to handle and invert onto plate.
- Slice into wedges, drizzle with olive oil and serve as an appetizer or as part of a meal spread.