Today, all Kalona SuperNatural™ products carry the USDA Certified Organic seal, which means that they have been grown and processed in accordance with rigorous, national organic standards. The seal also guarantees that an accredited, third party certifying agency has inspected the farms and processing plants to ensure full compliance with these standards.
The USDA certified organic seal was introduced in 2002. It may be displayed on products that fall into one of two categories:
- 100% Organic: All ingredients in the product are certified organic (with exception of salt and water).
- Organic: At least 95% of the ingredients (by weight) are certified organic. The remaining ingredients are not available organically, but have been approved by the National Organic Standards for use in organic products (i.e., yogurt cultures).
Kalona SuperNatural™ has products in both categories.
What does USDA Certified Organic Mean?
The USDA Certified Organic seal guarantees:
- No toxic and persistent pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, or fungicides
- No synthetic growth hormones or antibiotics
- No GMO’s (genetically modified organisms)
- No irradiation or sewage sludge
- No synthetic fertilizers
But certified organic is not just a list of prohibited substances and practices. It also means that affirmative practices are used to:
- Promote a healthy natural environment. Organic farmers use biological and mechanical processes to control pests; rotate crops to maintain nutrient-rich soil; use techniques that minimize soil erosion; and avoid monocropping to maintain biodiversity.
- Ensure humane treatment of animals. Organic farmers and ranchers accommodate natural animal behavior; for example, they provide outdoor access, a minimum of 120 days on pasture for grazing animals, shade, shelter, and dry bedding. Organic animals are fed organic feed and do not receive antibiotics or growth hormones.
- Foster the cycling of resources. Organic farms often use animal waste as fertilizer; collect rainwater for irrigation; or grow the feed for the animals they raise.
For more details on certified organic requirements, check the USDA website.
Our Organic Certifying Agencies
All products carrying the USDA Certified Organic seal are inspected annually by an accredited 3rd party certifying agency to ensure compliance with these rigorous standards. Four agencies–all with deep roots in the organic community–certify Kalona SuperNatural™ products.
Global Organic Alliance is the certifying agent for Farmers’ Hen House Eggs.
Our Farmers’ Hen House Cage-Free Large Brown, Cage-Free Large White, Cage-Free Omega-3 Large Brown, and Organic Large Brown Eggs are now Certified Humane ® by Humane Farm Animal Care, a national non-profit organization created to improve the lives of farm animals. Shocked to discover the miserable living conditions of most farm animals in the U.S., Adele Douglass (now the executive director of HFAC), began developing the concept of a certification and consumer label program in 1998. Douglass had worked as a lobbyist and legislative aide for many years, and she believed that consumer demand would be the most effective way to achieve more responsible animal farm practices.
Humane Farm Animal Care works with animal scientists and veterinarians to set objective standards, conduct annual farms inspections, and certify the humane treatment of farm animals. Their standards promote natural animal behavior, and include provisions for ample space, nutritious food without antibiotics, and compassionate care and handling throughout the animals’ lives. Nearly 100 manufacturers of animal products in the U.S. are Certified Humane ®.